Sept. 4-9, 2023
Come along on this Maine island tour to Vinalhaven and discover the gems of an island twelve miles from the mainland. Be swept away by the culture, the pace, the quaintness, the people, the landscape and the ocean views. Days are full, but not rushed. Think “Adult Summer Photo Camp”; fun, adventurous, and yet restorative. Join me and immerse yourself in island life as we explore the heart of the island and let your experiences inform your image making.
“We visited rocky beaches and quiet forest trails. The small commercial strip also offered opportunities. The group was small, so there was plenty of personal attention. This tour provided a wonderful glimpse of scenic Maine” – Harry O.
TOUR PRICE: $1195, includes photo tour, group transportation on tour, welcome lobster-bake dinner.
Lodging info, cancellation policy, sample itinerary, and exclusions are at the bottom of this page.
- perfect for all photographers & all camera types
- be met at your skill level with guidance to build on your camera-handling techniques
- expand your personal vision with tips on seeing and composition
- demonstrations and discussions, hands-on exercises to practice techniques
- feedback and critiques
- group size will be small, and you’ll have a lot of individual attention
- take advantage of photo opportunities from sunrise to sunset
“We got back stage access by going on to others property which was nice.” – Kathy M.
“The pace of the tour was relaxing and we had all sorts of time to wander, explore different composition ideas, and experiment. Highly recommended!” – Eron D.
- this Maine island is geologically diverse with 23 land preserves to explore for intimate nature details as well as ocean vistas.
- beautiful bay scenery with views of small, spruce covered islands
- rocky coastline
- busy working harbor with the largest fleet of lobster boats in the area
- friendly, helpful, and charming people
- year-round population of 1200
- thriving lobster fishing industry
- a vibrant artist community
- small village with unique shops and galleries
Vinalhaven is 7 miles long and 5 miles wide. The topography is carved with many inlets and peninsulas with 23 diverse nature preserves to explore.
NOTE: There is wifi, but cell phone service is very limited, if at all. Make sure that you let your contacts know that calls and texts may not reach you, and that email is the best way to contact you. There is a landline at the motel where your contacts can reach you in case of an emergency.
ACTIVITIES MAY INCLUDE
- peaceful nature trail hikes
- excursions to hard-to-find locations and hidden spots
- visiting a working artist’s studio
- diving into the rich granite history at the museum or a crystal clear quarry
- a boat ride for a picnic lunch to a nearby uninhabited island
adventuring in a skiff to the neighboring island village for happy hour at the brew-pub
- explore a busy working harbor with one of the largest lobstering fleets on the Maine coast
- kayaking or bicycling (rental fees not included in tour price)
- learn what it takes to live full time on an island
- discover signs of Maine island history while on excursions
- lodging in the center of the village
- You are welcome to participate as much or as little as you wish. Our itinerary is dependent on weather and other unforeseen circumstances.
My tour group sizes are always small which allows me to be flexible on many aspects of the event.
In particular, it allows me to best meet my participants’ needs, to adjust, based on the group, to what I feel is necessary at the time and creates a unique experience every year.
- Book online now!
Your Photo Tour to Vinalhaven begins early afternoon on day of arrival. If possible, meet at the ferry terminal in Rockland at 9:30am-10:00am to take the 10:30 a.m. boat. Depending on your travel distance, you may need to make lodging reservations on the mainland or on the island for the night before and the night after the tour. You can also take a later boat if you wish. Our last day, we will stay on the island until the last boat leaves for the mainland at 4:30 p.m. Again, it’s fine if you have to leave earlier. Please call if you have any questions.
TOUR FEE DOES NOT INCLUDE: lodging, transportation to the island, parking on the mainland, lunches, other dinners, private excursions, alcoholic beverages, and gratuities.
You will be lodging in the center of the village, on the edge of the harbor, and over the rushing tide, literally, at the Tidewater Motel. Rooms are bright and pleasant. We have a few rooms set aside and you will book directly with the Tidewater. Once you have registered for your tour, you’ll get a reservation code to book your room. Motel cancellation policy applies. I recommend travel insurance. Tidewater Motel is at 207-863-4618. https://www.thetidewatervh.com/
- September nightly rates are $200-$220 . The Motel offers a ‘stay 6 nights get the 7th night free’.
- A group discount will be considered by motel management once they know our group size.
- Some rooms have kitchens.
- Breakfast is included; fresh baked goods, fresh fruit, yogurt, homemade granola, a selection of teas and good coffee.
- TV’s are in a limited number of rooms, but everyone is welcome to use the Smart TV in the cozy common area, no cable service.
- If you are booking as a single it may be possible to share a room. Call me about this.
REGISTRATION: (Option to pay a $400 deposit, balance is due 60 days before your tour.)
- If you’d like to pay with a credit card you will need to go through the online booking by clicking the big green Book Now button. There will be a service charge of 6% by the booking company.
- If you’d like to pay with cash or check, contact me for a registration form. Fill it out and send along with a minimum deposit of $400. Your balance is due 60 days before the tour date.
- CANCELLATION POLICY: For this Maine Island tour to Vinalhaven I will give a complete refund in the event that I need to cancel the tour for any reasons. If you cancel your registration more than 60 days before the start of the event, your tour fee will be refunded to you, minus a $150 processing fee. If you cancel 59 – 31 days before the start of the event, 50% of your tour fee (which will include the processing fee) will be refunded. There is no refund if you cancel 30 days or less from the start of the tour. To cancel you must contact me to activate the cancellation and to make sure the refund goes through properly. I suggest that you consider travel insurance.
Everything is optional. Days are packed but the pace is slow.
- 9:30-10:00 meet at Maine State Ferry terminal in Rockland
- 1:00 – arrive on Vinalhaven, Lunch, explore the village,
- 4:00 – check-in to motel, unpack, welcome dinner
- Morning – sunrise shoot, breakfast, mid-morning nature preserve hike and other nearby areas of interest, group discussion
- Afternoon – mid-day break; lunch, nap, downloading and review, explore down on the docks, boats coming back with their catch, unloading, gear repair, etc.,
- Evening – dinner break, sunset shoot at the harbor
- Morning – Sunrise at the Thoroughfare, morning light at nature preserve, breakfast break, downloading & review, rest
- Afternoon – walk to private wharf, explore hidden cemetery, late lunch break, explore Geary’s Beach, activity at the town dock
- Evening – dinner, downloading & review, group meeting
- Morning – free time; private meetings with Dee, explore location for reshoot, download.
- Afternoon – charter boat ride, lobstering in action, marine wildlife, bay & island views, remote lighthouse, afternoon light and nature preserve hike.
- Evening – sunset over Penobscot Bay
- Morning – morning light at Lanes Island Preserve, skiff ride to North Haven Island, Lunch, explore island
- Late Afternoon – skiff ride back to Vinalhaven, shoot at local farm
- Evening – group farewell dinner
- Morning – sunrise at Lanes Island Preserve, breakfast, download and review, check-out of hotel
- Afternoon – explore Basin Preserve, kayak at Basin, late lunch,
- 4:30 – depart island